Thursday, January 17, 2013

This is HARD!

So for an update on my quest to eat less sugar: It's still a far off goal. This thing is difficult! I have been eating a lot more fresh fruit, which is definitely helping. I've noticed myself craving more oranges than chocolate. However, it's been hard to resist all the leftover Christmas candy that's laying around. I've also noticed that I eat more processed sugar while I'm sitting in front of the television or my computer. So my other goal of reading more books will hopefully help cut down my intake further next week. 

I tried two new recipes this week. One was for Banana Oatmeal Muffins, which I ate two of for breakfast every morning instead of my usual sugary breakfast cereal. I wasn't hungry for most of the morning, which helped me to resist all of the treats that my coworkers bring in. I really enjoyed them, and will probably make them again. Granted, they did still have some sugar in them, particularly in the chocolate chips, but I like to think they were more healthy than bad.

I also tried the Oatmeal Smoothie recipe that I've seen floating around Pinterest for awhile.
Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

 5 ice cubes
5-6 frozen whole strawberries
1/2 cup vanilla yogurt 
1 banana 
1/2 cup uncooked oatmeal
1 tablespoon honey 
1 cup orange juice
Directions:
Place ice and raspberries in the bottom of blender, and all other ingredients on top. Whir until completely smooth. This makes two pretty large smoothies.  
I'll bet you can't guess which one is mine and which is Chris's.
I really enjoyed this as a breakfast smoothie. I had one each morning after I worked out, and the oatmeal in it really made it more filling and sustaining. I used orange juice instead of the coconut milk and strawberries instead of raspberries, because that's what I had in my fridge. Even Chris liked the smoothie, and he hates oatmeal. What a weirdo.Who doesn't like oatmeal? He even specifically requested that I make it one morning.
 
Overall, I'd say that there has definitely been progress. I'm at least eating much healthier, even if I haven't cut back that much on sugar. All the fruit I've been eating has made me crave processed sugar less. I've even been drinking orange juice, and I used to hate orange juice. Now that all my Christmas candy is almost gone, hopefully the progress will be a little more next update.

No comments:

Post a Comment