Sunday, January 20, 2013

Book Review: Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson

I actually started reading a different book this week and ended up just returning it to the library without finishing it. It was The Midwife: A memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Times. I just couldn't identify with the writer and didn't like her writing style at all. Some of her stories were interesting, but her complaints about her work just got repetitive. I was disappointed in the book, so I decided to read one that I knew I would like.

I read Jenny Lawson's blog over at http://thebloggess.com/ and have for awhile. I love how honest she is about her anxiety and struggles, as well as her dry sense of humor. Also, her haunted dollhouse is seriously my favorite and you should look at it if you haven't. It's incredible. I also really enjoy memoirs and short stories, such as those by David Sedaris. I like reading those little moments in someone's life that they find important enough to write about, particularly when they're funny. Which is why I knew I would probably love Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson.

Purchase her book here.
I knew that I would like her book after reading about it on her blog, and it didn't disappoint. Her stories even made me laugh out loud at times, and usually when I read something funny I just do that weird thing where you snort extra air out instead of actually laughing. I will say that her footnotes and prefaces got a little repetitive just because there were so many of them. Her chapter on her pregnancy and miscarriage were poignant will still being amusing, which is hard to do. I also liked that it gave me a little more insight on one of my favorite bloggers.
I would say that if you read her blog, and like the way she writes there, then you'll probably like this book. If you don't  like a more casual writing style and prefer your writing more structured, then this is definitely not the book for you. This story about a BeyoncĂ© the Metal Chicken is in the book, and I'd say if you find this story amusing, you'll probably like the rest of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment