Saturday, October 13, 2012

Halloween Door Decoration

I love decorating for the holidays, and Halloween is one of my favorites. I just love the spooky atmosphere. I decided I wanted to make something to hang on my door to make it a little more festive and to cover up the No-Smoking sign that's on it. I originally wanted a wreath, but I found this super cool styrofoam grave at the Dollar Tree in town and knew it could be amazing with just a little more decoration.

Here's what I started with:
The spider on the grave wasn't very distinct, and the whole thing was just kind of plain.

Supplies:

Styrofoam grave
Black fabric roses
Glitter
Gray, white and black paint
Ribbon to hang with

I bought the grave, set of black roses and some glitter paint to do this project. The rest of the paint and the ribbon I already had.

First, I painted the whole grave gray. I just went over it with a foam brush and tried to keep the coat from looking too even.
Next, I painted in all of the spiders black to make them pop a little more. Look at all the new spiders that you couldn't even tell were there before!
Then I went over the spider web in a white pearly paint.
While I waited for the paint to dry, I took the roses and spiders off of the stem and painted the edges with glitter glue. The plastic spiders I completely covered in glitter to make them fancy.
I also went back over the spider web with glitter glue to make it sparkly as well.
Sparkles!
I also went back through and touched up any spots where the paint looked bad.
Fully painted
I added some rhinestone eyes, because I found them in my craft drawer and hot glued on the flowers and hanging ribbon. The roses are on the left, and the flowers on the right are two sets of leaves on top of each other with a rhinestone in the middle.
And it's done! I'm really happy with how it turned out, and it looks great hanging on my door. It's amazing what a little paint can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment