Thursday, September 20, 2012

Tomato Tortellini Soup

As the weather gets chillier around here, I'm craving more soup. That's a lie, I've been craving soup since mid-July, but now it's more appropriate to make it. I get home later on Wednesdays from work, and this soup was a great quick and easy meal.



I got most of the recipe for Taste Of Home and made some changes to make it work for me. I used less half-and-half cream, because two cups is a lot of that. It was still plenty creamy. I also didn't include the sun-dried tomatoes and added red pepper flakes instead.

Ingredients:


 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini 
2 cans (10 ounces each) tomato soup
2 cups chicken broth 
2 cups 2% milk 
1 cup half-and-half cream 
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp garlic powder 
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper 
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

 
Directions: 

1. Boil your tortellini according to instructions. You could also easily use ravioli for this as well.
Tortellini looks like snails.
2. Heat up the tomato soup, chicken broth, milk, half-and-half, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper. in a large pot. So basically everything except for the cheese.
Heating up the soup

3. Add the tortellini to the soup once it's hot and the tortellini are done. I used cheese tortellini, and I personally thought they were a little bland. I might try the kind with Prosciutto in them next time to add more flavor.
4. Add the Parmesan cheese to the warm soup and serve. Feel free to sprinkle extra Parmesan over the top as well.

Yum! Soup for two

I loved this recipe. It was super easy to make and tasted excellent. I even took some more in my lunch the next day, and it reheated very well. I will definitely be making this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment