Sunday, September 30, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookies

When I don't feel like being creative, but still want to bake, these cookies are what I fall back on. These are seriously the best chocolate chip cookies I've ever made, and I've stopped trying new recipes because they aren't as good as this one. I use Crisco's recipe for Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies and follow the directions almost exactly.   

If you're lucky, you'll get the recipe with your Crisco bars.
 
Ingredients:

3/4 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening  
1 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar 
2 tablespoons milk  
1 tablespoon vanilla extract  
1 large egg  
1 3/4 cups flour  
1 tsp salt  
3/4 tsp baking soda  
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips 

I always make a double batch, which is why there is double the amount of ingredients in the picture. One batch is never enough. I brought some in to where I work, and they were gone in about an hour.

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 F
2. Mix butter, milk, vanilla and brown sugar together until light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs one at a time, blending until smooth.
Don't try to accidentally use a hard-boiled egg, like I did:
Oops.
4. Mix in the flour, salt and baking soda. It's easiest to add in the flour a little at a time so that it doesn't go flying across the kitchen. I always add the salt, baking soda and 1/2 cup flour first, then slowly add in the rest of the flour.
5. STIR in the chocolate chips. Don't use your mixer, it will crush the chips into the side. Smooshed chocolate chips are hard to clean off.
6. Place your cookies onto a baking sheet, in whatever size you want. The recipe says rounded tablespoons, so I try and approximate that. I just use my hands though, not an actual tablespoon. 
7. Bake for 9 minutes. I bake my for 7, then rotate them and bake for 2 because my oven is wonky. The 9 minutes should still hold for a working oven though. They won't look at all done, and they'll still be puffy, but take them out anyway. Now, if they still look goopy, then leave them in for a few more minutes. I take my cookies out when they're underdone because I like them chewy. If you like crispy cookies, then leave them in longer.
Puffy cookies
8. Now, don't touch your cookies for 2 minutes after you take them out. They'll continue to bake a little bit on the sheet, but not so much that they get crispy. The cookies will deflate a little and then you can take them off.
Deflated cookies
9. Place your cookies on cooling racks if you have them, but newspaper on the counter top works just fine.

Look at my fancy cooling rack.
And you're done! Try not to eat them all right out of the oven. When I make them at home, probably about half of the batch gets eaten before they're even cooled (or make it into the oven). Hence the always doubling the dough. They are so chewy, with just a little bit of crispy crust, and they're amazing. 

So good

No comments:

Post a Comment